Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"The Runaways"

Okay, this one's gonna be a bit short, but ever-so-sweet. I just watched the movie touted as the "Joan Jett" flick, "The Runaways." Now, my passion for music doesn't go so far to the point where I would consider myself a 'music snob.' I don't know everything. I don't claim do know everything. I just know what I like. So I'll be honest here, I didn't really know much about the story of The Runaways. I knew they existed. I knew they were Joan Jett's first band, but I couldn't name any other members or any other songs of theirs besides "Cherry Bomb." But I gotta tell ya, I found myself tapping my foot along to the beat of every song in that movie and now I'm interested in buying either the soundtrack or a Runaways album. (I'm not above calling myself a bandwagoner in certain situations...it's rare, but it happens.)

I know this is a music blog, but seeing as how this is a music biopic, I think it's fairly relevant. And as far as biopics go, this one was actually pretty decent. (Still doesn't hold a candle to my all-time favorite biopic: "The Buddy Holly Story", but it was still pretty damn good). The plot itself wasn't all that riveting. Just the basic story of their humble beginnings, rise to quasi-fame, and subsequent destruction of the lead singer leading to their breakup. It's not the story that drives the film. It's the performances. And dayum...Dakota Fanning done growed up. After her performance of Cherie Currie, I think it's pretty safe to say she'll be making the transition to more grown up roles a lot more easily than most other child stars.

I was fairly unsure about the fact that Kristen Stewart was playing Joan Jett. Bella Swan? Really? Oh man...this'll be interesting. But now I couldn't possibly imagine anyone but Kristen playing the iconic Joan Jett. She BECAME Joan...so much to the point where I wasn't watching Kristen playing Joan...I was just watching Joan herself...in the 70's...making her way in the "man's world" of rock music. It's kinda scary to think that Lindsay Lohan wanted to play Joan...or so I heard. Thankfully that didn't happen.

I'm sure it was to coincide with the movie's release, but Joan Jett just released a collection called "Joan Jett and the Blackhearts Greatest Hits." It includes songs like "Bad Reputaion," "I Love Rock and Roll," "Crimson and Clover," and interestingly enough "Cherry Bomb." Download it if you want a little bit of badassness.

I know this was kind of a lame post, but seriously...check out the movie. It's pretty decent. And now I'm inspired to write a blog on the best and worst musical biopics of all time. For a later date...

No comments:

Post a Comment